I have a love hate relationship with inspirational travel quotes. Sometimes they inspire me to travel (like that’s it! I’m gonna travel to at least 3 countries in a year), but when I think about the money and how I’m stuck with my job, it makes me want to cry.
However, I love reading them as they will motivate me to work harder and hopefully, quit my 9-5 job soon.
If you follow me on Instagram (do it! do it!) you may have already read a few of my favorite quotes, but the majority are all as new to me as they will hopefully be to you.
- “If I’d learnt one thing from travelling, it was that the way to get things done was to go ahead and do them. Don’t talk about going to Borneo. Book a ticket, get a visa, pack a bag, and it just happens.” – Alex Garland, The Beach
- “We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment.” – Hilaire Belloc
- “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” – Aldous Huxley
- “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” – Helen Keller
- “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” – Neale Donald Walsch
- “Nobody can discover the world for somebody else. Only when we discover it for ourselves does it become common ground and a common bond and we cease to be alone.” – Wendell Berry
- “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
- “Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.” – Ray Bradbury
- “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it’s lethal.” – Paulo Coelho
- “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” – Bill Bryson
- “The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Traveling is not something you’re good at. It’s something you do. Like breathing.” – Gayle Forman
- “Travel is never a matter of money, but of courage.” – Paulo Coelho
- “If you don’t go after what you want, you’ll never have it. If you don’t ask, the answer is always no. If you don’t step forward, you are always in the same place.” – Nora Roberts
- “And once you live a good story, you get a taste for a kind of meaning in life, and you can’t go back to being normal; you can’t go back to meaningless scenes stitched together by the unforgettable thread of wasted time.” – Donald Miller
- “I do not want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.” – Diane Ackerman
- “Travel is glamorous only in retrospect.” – Paul Theroux
- “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
- “We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. We travel to open our hearts and eyes and learn more about the world than our newspapers will accommodate. We travel to bring what little we can, in our ignorance and knowledge, to those parts of the globe whose riches are differently dispersed. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more.” – Pico Iyer
- “As the traveler who has once been from home is wiser than he who has never left his own doorstep, so a knowledge of one other culture should sharpen our ability to scrutinize more steadily, to appreciate more lovingly, our own.” – Margaret Mead
- “I was not born for one corner. The whole world is my native land.” – Seneca
- “You don’t choose the day you enter the world and you don’t chose the day you leave. It’s what you do in between that makes all the difference.” – Anita Septimus
- “You lose sight of things… and when you travel, everything balances out.” – Daranna Gidel
- “Travel has a way of stretching the mind. The stretch comes not from travel’s immediate rewards, the inevitable myriad new sights, smells and sounds, but with experiencing firsthand how others do differently what we believed to be the right and only way.” – Ralph Crawshaw
- “If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears.” – Glenn Clark
Which one of these is your favorite? Are there any others that you would like to add?