What is Chiropractic?

Chiropractic is based on the scientific fact that your nervous systems controls the function of every cell, tissue, organ and system of the body. Your nervous system consist of  your brain, spinal cord and millions of nerves. Your brain is protected by the skull, and your spinal cord by the 24 moving bones of the spine.

Many everyday activities can cause these spinal bones to lose their normal position or motion. This can result in nervous system dysfunction and ultimately, ill health. Chiropractic is like doctors that can detect and help prevent nervous system dysfunction which can lead to better health.

Last Wednesday, I went to the Life Chiropractic Center at E-Gate (opposite Tesco), Penang for a check up. The Chiropractor, Dr. Stephen Karner said that my spinal cord is not straight. He said it’s quite normal and it’s not that bad. So, he did some adjustments to help return individual spinal bones to their proper motion and position by using only his hands. Some of the adjustments of the spinal bones produced in a faint “popping” sound. This sound is created by the shifting of gas and fluids in the joint.

After doing some adjustments, he ask me to try out some of the equipments like posture pump and hanging bench. Posture pump is a kind of equipment that can relieves back stiffness and discomfort. It’s a mechanism that gradually lifts, stretches and separates the joint. Hanging bench, on the other hand is an equipment that makes me hang upside down. This machine is to straighten my backbone and at the same time, it can make me grow taller too.

Me using the posture pump cervical spine trainer.

15 comments

1. Bagiah Leman says:

I am from Sumatra. But it happens I am in Spr where I will be here for sometime.
    I have a upper hip pain on the right leg and I need to visit a chairopractor from
    the Life medical clinic like the one in Penang. Can you please help me to find a
    similar one which is like yours in Spr? My local mobile is +65-93551880. Hope
    to get some news from you.

2. Amanda says:

1st of all, thanks for viewing my blog. Sorry, I do not know any chiroprator in Spr. You might want to search for it in google.com or you can ask anyone you know that is staying in Spr.

3. Nee Na says:

Do u have the phone number of the chiropractor centre. I need to check and have appointment with the doc

4. Amanda says:

Yes. The number is 04-6561866. The Chiropratic Centre is located at e-Gate building (opposite Tesco Penang) at 3rd floor.

5. cy says:

Hi
    may i know what are the charges of the treatment ? I have a disc bulging that cause low back pain so i am looking for a good chiropractic here

thanks

6. Amanda says:

I’m not sure about the charges but you can call and ask them. The number is 04-656 1866.

7. Chloe says:

does the treatment hurts? Actually i also have this sickness… This is called scoliosis. So now are you okay? Do you have any other treatment that will help?

8. Amanda says:

It doesn’t hurt. You’ll actually feel good after the treatment. I’m better now. Thank you. And no, I don’t go for any other treatment. =)

9. Carina Ong says:

Hello Amanda
    I have been looking for a gd Chiropractor for my knee cap pain aft a jump on d beach. I have heard of this Chriopracter who used to be stationed at P.Tikus but don`t know where he has moved to now. Can you please let me have his location and contact number?
    Thanks and hope you are in good health aft his treatment.

10. Julian says:

Amanda,

Thanks for the write up. It sure is difficult to look for a chiropractor here in PG. So, your visit is part of some routine checkup similar to that of a medical checkup? I’m still studying and back pain is debilitating. Sitting all day on a lab stool doesn’t help either.

So, how much did you pay for your visit?

11. Amanda says:

It’s more towards straightening your bone than a checkup. For me, they let me do hanging bench and the posture pump. After that, Dr. Karner will do some adjustments and the “crack” sound can be heard. Lastly, they will use a machine to sort of massage my backbone. This is the same every time I come for my appointment. I think he will do a checkup on the improvement once in a while. About the cost, it depends. For my case, it’s around RM70+. I haven’t been there for quite a while as my backbone is already straighten. =)

12. Sylvene says:

Hi Amanda,
    I’m having a lower back pain, i am wondering the cost of the chiropractic and dare not to attend. How much does it cost?
    Thanks!

Regards,
    SY

13. terence4y says:

I have the low back slip disc, i was seeking a lots of doctors advises since day 1. and nowaday, everyone is asking me to seek for Chiropractic. As i am staying at Pg island, E-gate is recommended by most of the people. But at usual, charges is the one of the concern. Would any one can share with me? costs per time? and is it need to continue following up?